Monday, June 10, 2024

Prom-enade

 

Prom fashion show from 2015 with our Michæla (second from upper right), taken by Poppi

    If Rolling Stone can branch out, so can I. I've posted more than once about my prom experience in bits, and I've tried putting it on Facebook, Bored Panda and Nextdoor, but it just isn't as effective, and they just disappear like they would on X. This site is more designed for such an article.

Like many people, I didn't get to go to prom in high school when I was the age of these kids (I didn't even realise my niece Michæla had like her folks had [my sister is her mother]). My grades weren't the best to say the least, we probably couldn't afford to have me go too, I didn't dress up that nice in those days, and I had no desire anyway. Not long after that, I transferred out of town to another school for a period, but I wasn't sure if prom was held at that stage, although I later learned it was before I went, and occasionally since after changing direction. There were other dances and events held throughout the year however. Prom never crossed my mind at that point either. I'd be lucky to get a reunion with anyone from that era, but that's for another day. Just one with people who attended before I was born.

It took all the way until 2015-16 for me to finally regret having missed out on junior prom and senior ball after looking on Syracuse.com or seeing it around. Can't recall what triggered it, yet many things came into my life quite late and some still have yet to occur. Only just went to my first two weddings just before that (again, for another time). I thought I would be trying to come up with a prom for others who also were denied that rite of passage they seen on TV or movies, or saw their friends and families get to embrace. Turns out that has been a thing for some time. Drew Barrymore is said to have paved the way since even she's in the same boat as me, but didn't finish school, and put together a couple do's and went on one of the chat shows, so when her two girls are older, she can take them to get their dresses for their big nights. In recent years, adult or second chance proms have been held nationwide.

Here's the list of all the post-traditional proms (we can change the narrative here) I have attended:

1. Singers Karaoke Club • Syracuse, 21/5/16 - My first one nearly two decades late!

2. Singers • 20/5/17 - Last one until this year

3. Wholely Grounds at the Road • 14/4/18 - NY 175, Onondaga Hill (had to dig up the calendar since everything is lost to obscurity)

4. Marriott Syracuse Downtown • 10/3/19 - Charity family event held in grand ballroom upstairs*

5. Wholely Grounds at the Road • 13/4/19 - They closed in September (I just know that the event wasn't right before Easter), Alice in Wonderland/Charisma Records theme (final one at this location)

5a. Studio 54 • 21/6/19 NY 5, downtown - I didn't really stay long because of delays and the hours*

No events in 2020 because of the pandemic, of course.

6. TK Tavern • 16/10/21 Camillus (original location), Salt City Collective (Meetup group) - Also the closest thing to a second chance homecoming in CNY since this occurs more during that season, although I'll consider setting up something with that name since I missed out on that as well

7. Sharkeys Bar & Grill • 23/7/22 CR 57, Liverpool (Bayberry) - Clay Panthers Pop Warner football team fundraiser*

8. TK Tavern • 2/10/22 - Salt City Collective; moved the next years event after fire in January 2023

9. St Josephs Catholic Church • 20/5/23 - W Genesee St., Camillus*

10. Brewerton Centre for the Arts • 24/6/23 - US 11, Brewerton*

11. Ukrainian National Home • 14/10/23 - S Wilbur Ave., Tipp Hill - SCC new location (may be just the one time)

12. Singers • 8/6/24 - Full circle (only one in town at the same time as the regular kind this year; Hollywood Nights theme [I don't always remember those, and they're hard to come up with since many are overdone like Gatsby])

13. SCC ?/10/24 TBA


*One-off and/or not held again since

Younger people who didn't have prom a few years ago because of COVID can now attend since it's usually at the local or at least serving drinks (I don't drink). They make a great fundraiser if anyone needs to raise money and are held year round nationwide (yet you may still need GoFundMe just to bankroll the budget to hold the event unless you can find sponsors). I would get a right headache from a regular prom today at my age listening to todays Top 40! I don't need to be prom king or even have a date (been stag all my life). It's never too late. I'd consider holding a second chance homecoming in the fall since no one has had one here yet and I didn't get to go to that either, even though some may call it prom lite (semi-formal could even be that). There should also be one just for senior citizens since I don't know if one was done here before either. Why just let the kids have all the fun? Now if I could only get to one of theirs just to see it in person, noise or no noise (I have managed to get downtown for ones held there and see them head inside since the pavement is public property).

No comments: