Saturday, February 17, 2024

Marillion: Childhood Mysteries

 

The cover that was meant to be

    Marillion played Castle Donington in Leicestershire in August 1985 on an all-star bill that included ZZ Top (on their Afterburner tours Europe leg), Bon Jovi (not yet that big, promoting 7800° F), Metallica (between albums) and Magnum. Whether Marillions show was soundboard, radio or just the typical fan recording is likely one of the mysteries! It's when it made it onto bootleg is what leads us here. One early edition looked more like an early '70s head shop release with a cheap photocopy cover with what looks more like a drawing Peter Nicholls from IQ. Another looked like an apple of some sort. The most common is what may drawn intrigue for nearly four decades for diehards of both bands. The label probably tried to come up with something at short notice comparable to Mark Wilkinsons fantasy style, so they decided to steal another designers sleeve. Rodney Matthews drew the cover of Magnums 1983 release The Eleventh Hour! It was originally released on Jet Records, Ozzy Osbournes former solo label, and his estranged father-in-law the late Don Arden ran it and would have sorted out whoever nicked the sleeve if he knew! On one of the Facebook groups, a fan showed his copy of the LP that Fish signed. I had Bill Bruford sign a King Crimson pirate CD, but that's a bit different (we've done that).

    Magnums lead songwriter and guitarist Tony Clarkin, who passed on 7 January this year, didn't like his own band being bootlegged (most people wouldn't). The last thing he'd want is for the cover of one their studio albums being used for another artists bootleg. When I bought it a few years ago in my area at a great price, I didn't realise at first until it said so on Discogs. I had an earlier Marillion drawing combining elements of Script for a Jesters Tear, Misplaced Childhood, Brave and Marbles (the last two from the Steve Hogarth era), but the original disappeared a long time ago and I'd have to see if it's still online somewhere. I went to the charity shop and bought this bordered paper and coloured pencils, originally for a promotion next door at the coffee shop for St Valentines Day (they got one of my cats!). I also had some pastels for bits that couldn't be pencilled in. I was trying to make Robert Mead, the youngster on the Misplaced cover in the style of Loren Bouchard (Bobs Burgers/The Great North) because I don't draw people too often. He turns out similar to The Great Norths Moon since they'd be the same age and have the Will Byers (Stranger Things since it's that time period) look to boot!

    I have Magnum to get for Boris and I wouldn't have heard of them if not for the list. I may look into them myself. The Eleventh Hour! isn't on it, but he could get it for me since I may not find it on my own since little of theirs came out in North America in the old days. If part of the cover is missing when it comes, I'll just photocopy the bootleg and cover up Marillion parts with bits of scrap paper. Even band photos of the show would have worked better once it was on CD, although it'd be a matter of getting cameras past security (video ones even more so once they were more versatile for the consumer market long before mobile phones could do all this and the internet), yet several photos were taken and are available. One could hide tape machines somehow. They scan for such things and even have clear bag policies in some venues today, yet people can still get these made if they have the knowhow and connections. It was still the Wild West in the '80s, and more of a challenge by the '90s as artists and venues became more strict about this. At least I could put to bed this anomaly of a bootleg cover.

Here are the tracks anyway. No Kayleigh or Lavender.

No comments: