Saturday, March 26, 2011

Big Sister


Their major label debut, which is available from amazon.com.
 This post is about a female blues-rock band from Woodstock, NY (not where the festival was, as I found out years ago) called Big Sister.  I heard of them through their bass player Desiree Williams from her day job where I used to live.  She gave me two of their indie releases, Why My Mind Up and Left and Some Songs.  I knew about 2000s So Hi How Are You? whilst it was being made, but it didn't come out until after I returned to CNY.  It fell into obscurity when the label Capricorn was absorbed into Volcano, and it's a cutout on CD, though used copies are pennies, which is bad because that shows that it could go out of print and/or it was a flop.  It is still in print on mp3, as well as Some Songs, but I will offer Why My Mind Up and Left here.  The first album, Live at the Lake, had another girl on bass, so I didn't get that, so it'd be a Holy Grail to the bands cult following. Their official site 404ed, but that and my fan site are on Wayback, so you can look at those despite the dated info they'll have.  The band were said to come to my area, but I never had a chance to see them.  I do have a listen to them now and again.  I don't usually get something just for a bass player (unless they're a solo artist and/or frontperson), but Dez was the exception.  I haven't seen her in over a decade, and only heard from her once, as we both moved on since then.
I remember that they know Patti Rothberg, whos had an underground career of her own.  She painted the Some Songs cover in acrylic and provided harmonies on the next album.
If you're looking for something new and different, have a listen to Big Sister.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Desiree Williams used to work at Anderson School in Staatsburg NY. I found out about her band when I was in that school and I found out about it through her as well. I think I new her at the school between 1997 to 1999

Any how if they need a website I build them, and host them as well as build software and mobile apps. Big Ben's Web Hosting

Tech Me Out