Friday, October 15, 2010

The Beatles in My Life

The white album

To some, it may be too easy to write about The Beatles, but they were and still are a big part of my life. I can't remember a time I hadn't heard of them, even though it wasn't really until 1992 that I really had a listen to the records, getting to know every vintage of the band, eventually to solo careers, though just a bit of Ringo Starr like most others, and to other bands and British culture. They represented a turbulent (a clichéd term by now) era as I was in my own. Even now, the kids get into it, and Rock Band and remasters last year helped open up to a new generation of Beatle People. Even when we're all gone, more will come to the (Fab) fore. It's hard to elaborate on the personal impact they had on me in one go, but I can say I'm better because of them.
I bought cheap import LPs from Uruguay of the red and blue albums and felt a brief euphoria in finding them. Albums like these made me become a collector and I've gained skill along the way.
I'm also amazed how the Beatles broke non-Anglophone countries, opening the door for others. Fans in these markets try to learn English as best they can so they get more out of it when they have a listen.
If you believe, I know that one day in the afterlife, we'll get the reunion we never saw on earth. But you can't take it with you.

No comments: