Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lost on America



Savoy are just one of several acts I like most Americans have never heard of.

Many people I listen to are not household names in the US, which is a double-edged sword. The good part is that the few American fans are a small cult that have the band/artist to ourselves. The bad part is the unlikelihood of them coming to this country because there isn't enough interest or the album wasn't released there. With an album only available as an import, they won't get to be booked on Letterman or The Bonnie Hunt Show for that matter.
Another disadvantage is their albums may not be officially released in the States. I rarely would find the album at a brick-and-mortar. I have to go to eBay or amazon. GEMM and Total Recall helped me find rare and pricey finds. Once I could get online faster, I found mp3s. If it's not on iTunes or emusic for American customers, I go to sites from a certain country that shall remain nameless (let's just say there's a link to one of these desputed sites on the blog, and they're in the news). Many rare and common albums can be "found" on other Blogger sites. I hate to be vague, but The Beast is watching!
I also like Marillion (see other post). They can't get arrested here either. Have to win the lotto and go across St. Lawrence River!
I have mentioned Jim Diamond and Ph.D. earlier. Then there's early Fleetwood Mac when they were blues. a-ha aren't given room to grow here either. This country is full of chavs who listen to that hip-hop shite (there, I said it)!
If I ran a label (that'll be a future post), I would sign these groups that are being ignored by A&Rs in New York and Los Angeles. I know a-ha spinoff Savoy have tried and only have one album available for legal download on iTunes US. I even network and trade with other fans to add to my collection of around 500 albums!
To cut a long story short, chav-centric US Top 40 radio and the major record companies are ignoring real talent in favour of emo, Disney, and that rap crappola! No wonder this generation is going to hell in a handbasket! If you are a fan of someone who can't Payola their way to #1, continue to support and fight for them!

No comments: